ALL TEAM STAFF (Coaches, Managers, Safety Persons) must complete Respect In Sport by December 1.
Respect in Sport Program is an education program for coaches to assist them in the prevention of harassment, abuse and bullying in sport. The purpose of the program is to impact on attitudes, skills, and knowledge of the coaches that will result in a safe, sportsmanlike environment for all players, coaches, and parents.
RESPECT IN SPORT RE-CERTIFICATION
Beginning in the 2017-18 hockey season Sport Manitoba has initiated a 5-year re-certification policy which applies all all coaches, managers and safety people who take the Respect in Sport – Coaches and Activity leaders online course. This means that for the 2018-19 season any team staff that completed their Respect in Sport any time in or prior to 2013-14 are required to retake the Respect in Sport – Activity Leaders online course. The policy has been put in place as a result of multiple changes that have been made to the Respect in Sport course designed to reflect the current climate. The course now includes more material regarding online harassment and cyber bullying as well as other needed updates.
With this policy change, Hockey Manitoba have also made the decision to no longer accept the Speak Out certification as an equivalent to the Respect in Sport online course. This means that any team staff that completed the Speak Out course in the mid 2000’s will be required to complete the Respect in Sport – Coaches and Activity leaders online course in the 2017-18 season in order to be properly certified by the December 1st coaching certification deadline.
Respect in Sport Program is only offered online and is a total of 3 hours in length.
The course consists of 6 modules, each 30 minutes in length.
***If you have completed the RIS for Coaches and Officials and it is not showing up on your profile please follow these steps:
Log into your Respect in Sport account – Click on the PROFILE tab at the top of the page – Select the “Assign Profile to Other Associations” tab on the left side of the screen – Open the Sport Manitoba Tab (click on the + sign) – Open the Hockey Tab (Click on the + sign) – Select your Minor Hockey Association – Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the “Save Changes” button
RESPECT IN SPORT – REGISTRATION INFO
Please read carefully before entering the Respect in Sport website:
If you have questions regarding the Respect in Sport (RIS) curriculum or your passwords: please consult the RIS Course Instructions or the FAQ OR HELP links on the Respect In Sport website.
Please ensure you have speakers and/or a headset attached to your computer and they are turned on.
- Click on the “Respect in Sport” below and a new window will open.
- Choose your desired language
- On the next page find “New Registration” which is on the right side of the web page
- VERY IMPORTANT STEP: Select “Hockey” from the drop down menu and your primary minor hockey association (or league).
- Complete the registration form as best as possible, please note the username and password are case specific. HINT: To avoid forgetting, choose a common user name and password when registering (i.e. same as your email or other online accounts)
- Once you have clicked submit and all information has been accepted, you will be taken directly to the main page of the course curriculum.
- Enter your username and password, then click submit
- To return to where you left off in the course, click on the first module and/or section button without checkmarks in them.
- If you’ve forgotten your RIS username or password please contact the help desk email/phone provided on the RIS website.
- If you’ve taken RIS for another sport and want to apply it to Hockey, please log-in and add “Hockey” to your profile, be sure to also include your Minor Hockey Association. Hockey Manitoba can only view individuals with “Hockey” listed in their RIS profile.