Hockey Manitoba will continue the #ThankTheStripes initiative this season in an effort to recognize, acknowledge and show support to our 1,600+ on-ice and off-ice officials from across the province. December 1 – 3, 2023 has been identified as the weekend to promote this initiative, and we will be asking leagues, associations and members to actively get engaged.
Without our officials, quite simply, we do not have a game. Officials at all ages and levels of hockey work tirelessly to ensure that our game is safe, fair and played within the rules. Let’s come together to show our appreciation for everything they do!
Hockey Manitoba has planned the following for the #ThankTheStripes weekend:
- Social media campaign (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) encouraging associations, leagues, players, coaches and parents to acknowledge and show support for Manitoba officials with messages, pictures and videos using the hashtag #ThankTheStripes.
- Recognition of officials who have been selected for national/international championships
- Highlighting the various officiating resources that are available to all referees in the province
Here’s a reminder how Leagues, Minor Hockey Associations, and Community Clubs can get involved:
- Provide free drinks/snacks in ref room during games
- Provide free skate sharpening for officials
- Provide free coffee/hot chocolate or other items at arena canteen for officials
- Announce PSAs before/during each game
- Announce officials by name and ask for applause at the start of each game
- Special presentations or awards for local officials before games
- Take pictures and post messages on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) using #ThankTheStripes