Development 1 is a requirement for any Head Coaches that are coaching Junior B, Senior AAA and the Manitoba Games. Development 1 is also required for any Assistant Coaches that are coaching Under-15 AAA, Female Under-15 AAA/AA, Under-18 AAA, Sports Schools, Junior A and Team Manitoba (POE). If you are not Head Coaching one of these age categories please consult the Coach Requirements page to find the appropriate level of training for your age category.
The main focus of this training program is to educate coaches on communication, team building, technical skills, athletic abilities, individual skills and tactics, team tactics, drill design, progressions, practice planning, seasonal planning, goaltending and safety. In addition, the Development 1 clinic will also include training on Making Ethical Decisions (MED). Coaches must successfully complete the MED online evaluation to become certified with the Coaching Association of Canada.
*** The coaching certification deadline for the 2022 – 2023 season is Friday January 13, 2023.
Development 1 is a 3-step process consisting of an online course, an in-person clinic and an online evaluation. All components MUST be completed by December 1st of the current hockey season. Below the detailed steps to assist you in registration:
- If you have already completed the Respect in Sport - Coaches and Activity leaders course within the past 5 years you can bypass this step.
- If you have never completed the in Respect in Sport - Coaches and Activity leaders course or completed it during the 2017-18 season or prior please follow the steps below:
- Access the Respect in Sport database by clicking HERE
- If you have an existing profile log-in using your email and password. If you are new to RIS create a new account.
- Please ensure when creating a new account that your birth date and name match what is listed on your eHockey participate profile.
- Once you have logged in or created a new account ensure that you select HOCKEY and your MINOR HOCKEY ASSOCIATION as your associated groups to ensure that it links to your eHockey profile.
- You can now go through and complete the online course.
- Please ensure that once you have completed the online course you also complete the survey at the end as it will not list your course as completed until the survey is done.
- Go to the Hockey Canada Registry site by clicking here
- With the previous eHockey site being discontinued you will need to create a new account on the HCR 3.0 portal. Use your current email address to create your new account.
- After logging into your account select the option to “link a member” to your account.
- Search using your first name, last name and date of birth. This should bring up your existing member profile in the Hockey Canada Registry.
- If your search does not bring up any results please check to make sure you are using the correct birth date and full name (it is possible that if your name is James, your profile may be under Jim).
- If the site is still returning no search results this means that you have no pre-existing profile in the database. To create a new profile you must ensure that you have completed STEP 1 by completing your Respect in Sport – Activity Leader training. Instructions on how to complete this training can be found by clicking here.
- Once you have created an account and linked your member profile click here to go to the clinic selection page.
- Click on the upper right hand of the screen where it says “Register for Clinics”
- On the clinics page select “Coach” on the left hand side of the screen and this will filter for all Coaching clinics.
- Coach – Development 1 will be listed in the available clinics.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL DEVELOPENT 1 CLINICS OCCUR OVER TWO DAYS AND INCLUDE ONE VIRTUAL SESSION ON ZOOM AND ONE IN-PERSON SESSION.
- Following your registration you will receive a link to begin completing the online course.
- This assessment must be completed through the NCCP Locker database which you can access by clicking HERE.
- If you have any issues logging into the NCCP Locker database please contact tech support for the NCCP by emailing email@example.com
- Once you have logged in you will select “eLearning” at the top of the page.
- On the next page please ensure that the dropdown menus located in the top left corner are on “Multi-Sport” and “Coach & Coach Developer”.
- Under “Available” on the left hand side of the page you should see “Making Ethical Decisions (MED) Online Evaluation”. Select that for the next step.
- There will now be instructions on the page directing you to select the stage of athletes you are working with. Select one of the options on the right hand side of the page to proceed to the next step.
- Now there should be a button available at the bottom right hand side of the page labeled “Begin”. Select that button to begin the online evaluation.
- Coaches that attended the Development 1 clinic should not have to pay for these courses as you have already completed the training through the clinic. If the database attempts to charge you for any of these courses please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and they will remedy this issue.
- You can now attempt the online evaluation. You will be granted unlimited attempts to pass the evaluation since you completed the MED training as part of the Development 1 clinic.
The MED online evaluation must be completed by January 1 of the current season.
- This step is only required for Head Coaches that are coaching Junior B, Senior AAA and Manitoba Games. Assistant Coaches that are coaching U15 AAA, Female U15 AAA/AA, U18 AAA, Sports Schools, Junior A and Team Manitoba (POE).
- Please note that the Field Evaluations are an additional $75.00+GST
- Coaches that are looking to schedule their field evaluation must contact Ben Blankstein (email@example.com) for further information.