The Male Under-16 Program of Excellence is the first step in the Hockey Canada Male Program of Excellence. Athletes who participate in the U16 POE begin to receive the exposure to skills and concepts that are vital for success at the Major Junior, NCAA, USport and National levels. Many athletes from the U16 Program of Excellence go on to success with the U17, U18 and World Junior Teams as a part of the Hockey Canada Program of Excellence.
- Athletes are selected utilizing scouting information from a Western Hockey League scouting pool designated by Hockey Manitoba.
- Athletes for the 2022 U16 Program of Excellence must be male and must be born between Jan 1, 2007 and Dec 31, 2007.
- For an athlete to be eligible for selection into POE they MUST be a permanent resident of Manitoba and be registered with a sanctioned program within Hockey Manitoba (AAA, AA, A or Sport School) or within another Provincial Branch.
April 8-10, 2022
- Athletes will be selected and sent invitations in March for the U16 POE Spring Selection Camp.
- Athletes are placed onto teams and participate in Western Hockey League On-ice/Off-ice testing and exhibition games over the course of a weekend.
- All athletes are provided with CCM custom tournament uniforms.
- Evaluation is done throughout the camp by the U-16 POE Coaching Staff and scouting pool.
- Athletes are notified approximately two weeks following the conclusion of the camp regarding selections/releases for the next phase of the program.
- Released athletes are not provided with a written evaluation following the U-16 POE Spring Selection Camp.
October 2, 2022
Bell MTS Iceplex
December 20-22, 2022
Male U16 Director of Operations; Director, Hockey Development – Hockey Manitoba