High Performance 1 is a program designed by Hockey Canada and the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) for any Head Coaches that are coaching Bantam AAA, Female Bantam AA/AAA, Midget AAA, Sports Schools, Junior A, Team Manitoba and Canada Games. It is also required for Assistant Coaches that are coaching in Canada Games.
The High Performance 1 training is presented in a multi-day seminar format. Each day will consist of presentations and group work focusing on several important topics for coaching high performance hockey as determined by Hockey Canada and the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP). These topics include offensive team play, powerplay, penalty kill and others topics related to tactics and coaching philosophy. The seminar will also include NCCP training on Making Ethical Decisions (MED), Managing Conflict and Leading Drug Free Sports.
In addition to the training seminar the High Performance 1 program includes online evaluations, written assignments and field evaluations that must be completed in order to obtain the full certification.
- If you have already completed the Respect in Sport - Coaches and Activity leaders course within the past 5 years you can bypass this step.
- If you have never completed the Respect in Sport - Coaches and Activity leaders course or did complete it before the 2014-15 season please follow the steps below:
- Access the Respect in Sport database by clicking HERE
- If you have an existing profile log-in using your email and password. If you are new to RIS create a new account.
- Please ensure when creating a new account that your birth date and name match what is listed on your eHockey participate profile.
- Once you have logged in or created a new account ensure that you select HOCKEY and your MINOR HOCKEY ASSOCIATION as your associated groups to ensure that it links to your eHockey profile.
- You can now go through and complete the online course.
- Please ensure that once you have completed the online course you also complete the survey at the end as it will not list your course as completed until the survey is done.
- The seminar is held every two years within Manitoba. Coaches looking for information on when the seminar is going to be held should contact email@example.com
- Coaches that are applying must complete an application which highlights their coaching history and their coaching philosophy.
- Upon submission the applications will be reviewed by Hockey Manitoba to determine which group of coaches will be selected to attend the seminar.
- If accepted, there will be a fee to pay for the program and participants will be expected to attend the multi-day seminar.
- Coaches must complete and pass the online evaluations for Making Ethical Decisions (MED), Managing Conflict and Leading Drug Free Sports.
- These evaluations must be completed through the NCCP Locker database which you can access by clicking HERE.
- If you have any issues logging into the NCCP Locker database please contact tech support for the NCCP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you are logged in you will select “eLearning” at the top of the page.
- On the next page please ensure that the dropdown menus located in the top left corner are on “Multi-Sport” and “Coach & Coach Developer”.
- Under “Available” on the left hand side of the page you should see “Making Ethical Decisions (MED) Online Evaluation”, “Managing Conflict Online Evaluation” and “Leading Drug-Free Sport Online Evaluation”. Select one for the next step.
- There will now be instructions on the page directing you to select the stage of athletes you are working with. Select one of the options on the right hand side of the page to proceed to the next step.
- Now there should be a button available at the bottom right hand side of the page labeled “Begin”. Select that button to begin the online evaluation.
- Coaches that attended the High Performance 1 training should not have to pay for these courses as you have already completed the training through the clinic. If the database attempts to charge you for any of these courses please contact email@example.com and they will remedy that issue.
- You can now attempt the online evaluation. You will be granted unlimited attempts to pass the evaluation since you completed the training as part of the High Performance 1 seminar.
- After attending the training seminar coaches will have two years to complete the written assignment and field evaluations.
- The written assignments will consist of problems relating to physical preparation, leaderships techniques, planning a competitive program, the planning, teaching and evaluating techniques involved in coaching, mental preparation, team building and technical, tactical and system competencies.
- Coaches must complete and pass the written assignment before moving onto the field evaluations.
- The field evaluations will be conducted by a trained High Performance 1 Evaluator as assigned by Hockey Manitoba.
- The assigned evaluator will coordinate a time with the coach to observe one practice and one game. During this time the evaluator will evaluate the coach’s performance specifically looking at preparation, planning, specificity, development of skills, tactics and team play, communication, execution, teaching and bench management. The evaluation will also involve a self-assessment by the coach.
- The final part of the field evaluation will be a review of the coach’s Seasonal Plan and overall program.
Coaches that receive a passing grade for the field evaluations will earn “Certified” status as a High Performance 1 Coach.