Hockey Manitoba will continue the #ThankTheStripes initiative this season in an effort to recognize, acknowledge and show support to our 1,600+ on-ice officials from across the province. December 4-6, 2020 has been identified as the weekend to promote this initiative, and we will be asking leagues, associations and members to actively get engaged.
Without our on-ice officials, quite simply, we do not have a game. Officials at all ages and levels of hockey work tirelessly to ensure that our game is safe, fair and played within the rules. Let’s come together to show our appreciation for everything they do!
In the past, Hockey Manitoba has planned the following for the #ThankTheStripes:
- Social media campaign (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) encouraging associations, leagues, players, coaches and parents to acknowledge and show support for Manitoba officials with messages, pictures and videos using the hashtag #ThankTheStripes.
- Identification of Regional Award Winners for Most Promising, Most Deserving and Most Improved Officials
- Recognition of officials who attended national/international championships
- Highlighting the various officiating resources that are available to all referees in the province
- Present all officials at Girls Hockey United Weekend with two Hockey Manitoba apparel items
Here’s how you can get involved on December 4-6:
- Provide free drinks/snacks provided in ref room during games
- Provide free skate sharpening for officials
- Provide free coffee/hot chocolate or other items at arena canteen for officials
- Announce PSAs provided by Hockey Manitoba before/during each game
- Announce officials by name and ask for applause at the start of each game
- Special presentations or awards for local officials before games
- Take pictures and post messages on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) using #ThankTheStripes
- Use social media to post messages and pictures, always using #ThankTheStripes
- Get officials some snacks before or after your game
- Be extra supportive to all officials and do a “good deed”
- Think outside the box, “how can YOU #ThankTheStripes”
Public Service Announcements (PSA)
We’re encouraging all clubs, associations and leagues to use the following PSAs during all games on the December 4-6, 2020 weekend. Feel free to create additional messages of your own as well!