CALGARY, AB April 13, 2005 – Hockey Canada announced on Wednesday the 2005 RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’ Scholarship winners and the Nickerson Family Award recipients. These annual scholarship awards provide financial assistance to Canadian Junior ‘A’ hockey players for post-secondary education.
The 2005 RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’ Scholarship recipients, one from each of Canadian Junior Hockey’s ten leagues, receive $1,000 toward post-secondary education, with one national winner receiving $5,000. The winners of the national RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’ Scholarship and the Nickerson Family Awards were selected from a list of finalists by a national panel of Hockey Canada appointed junior hockey representatives.
2005 RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’ Scholarship winners:
· Alberta Junior ‘A’ Hockey League – Adam Kinnaird, Fort Saskatchewan Traders
· British Columbia Hockey League – Rylan Burns, Merritt Centennials
· Central Junior Hockey League – Brennan Sarazin, Nepean Raiders
· Manitoba Junior Hockey League – Jordan Cyr, Selkirk Steelers
· Maritime Junior ‘A’ Hockey League – Patrick Leland, Woodstock Slammers
· Northern Ontario Junior ‘A’ Hockey League –Paul Pidutti, Sudbury Northern Wolves
· Ontario Provincial Junior ‘A’ Hockey League – Sam Colizza, Kingston Voyageurs
· Quebec Junior AAA Hockey League – Tommy Ducharme, L’Action Junior AAA Joliette
· Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League – Stefan Koo, Estevan Bruins
· Superior International Jr Hockey League – Andrew Fernandez, Fort William First Nations North Stars
The recipient of the $5,000 national RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’ Scholarship is Sam Coliza of the OPJAHL’s, Kingston Voyageurs.
Sam Colizza will be presented with his national scholarship award at the RBC Royal Bank Cup, taking place May 7 – 15 in Weyburn, Saskatchewan.
Players eligible for the RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’ Scholarships must be a Canadian citizen, on a Canadian Junior ‘A’ team roster, and registered or applying for full time post-secondary studies. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic achievement, hockey achievement and community involvement.
All Junior ‘A’ hockey players in Canada, who currently attend a Canadian post-secondary institution, are also eligible for the Nickerson Family Award, which is made possible through the Friends of the RBC Royal Bank Cup Society in Fort McMurray, Alberta.
The 2005 Nickerson Family Award recipients:
· $1,000 Award – Rylan Burns, Merritt Centenials
· $500 Award – Adam Kinnaird, Fort Saskatchewan Traders
Application forms for 2006 can be obtained from Junior ‘A’ leagues in the fall of 2005 and a downloadable form will also be available on the Hockey Canada website at www.hockeycanada.ca.
For more information on either the RBC Financial Group Scholarships or the Nickerson Family Award, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-777-4591. For more information on RBC Financial Group and hockey, visit http://www.rbc.com/sponsorship/hockey.