Hockey Manitoba Annual General Meeting Highlights
Winnipeg, MB – Hockey Manitoba’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) concluded on Sunday May 3rd in Winnipeg, as members voted on a number of proposals impacting hockey at all levels in Manitoba. The Hockey Manitoba AGM brings together the Hockey Manitoba Board of Directors along with representatives from minor hockey through to senior hockey to discuss ways to enhance hockey at all levels in Manitoba. Highlights from the Meetings
- Hockey Manitoba’s Executive Committee for the 2009-10 season, Brian Franklin (President), Bill Whitehead (Vice President), Brian Sarna (Past President), Dale Fossay (Chair of Finance), Ray Brethour (Chair of Sr. Male), Brenda Dubeck (Chair of Jr/Sr. Female), Trent Ward (Chair of Jr A), Rick Olson (Chair of Jr B), Don Brown (Chair of Minor East) and Ken Gladden (Chair of Minor West) will work together to establish a positive direction for the branch.
President Brian Franklin exclaimed, “I am looking forward to a productive and exciting new term as the Branch President and am pleased to have the support of a progressive and strong Executive Committee.With Manitoba hosting the 2010 Royal Bank Cup and 2010 Memorial Cup, the 2009 – 2010 season will place our province in the center of the hockey world and once again showcase the commitment and dedication of our invaluable volunteers to the game of hockey.”
- A number of motions were passed during the weekend to improve current regulations, promote hockey development and update Hockey Manitoba’s regulation handbook.A complete list of all notice of motion results will be circulated to membership and posted on the Hockey Manitoba website shortly.
- The creation of a new Hockey Manitoba Legacy Fund was approved by the Board of Directors, giving membership the opportunity to access funds to promote hockey development through an application process. The fund is in addition to the World Women’s Legacy Fund established after the 2007 World Women’s Hockey Championships were held in Winnipeg/Selkirk.Application forms complete with criteria for both Legacy funds will be posted on the Hockey Manitoba website.
- The Hockey Manitoba annual awards luncheon was held to recognize Manitoba’s officials, coaches, scholarship recipients, teams, players and volunteers.A few highlights from the luncheon were:
* Bob Caldwell from Deloraine, MB was named 2008 – 2009 Hockey Manitoba Volunteer of the Year. * The Westman Wildcats were honoured for winning the inaugural Esso Cup Womens’ Midget National Championships. * The 2009 Allan Cup (Randy Wolgemuth, Chair) and 2009 TELUS Cup (Rob Cox, Chair) were recognized for their commitment in hosting first class national events in the 2008 – 2009 season.
The Hockey Manitoba Board of Directors will meet again at the Fall Board meeting in October 2009.