Hockey Manitoba is pleased to announce initial details and open registration for the 2023 Season Opener conference which will be held from September 29 – 30, 2023 at Canad Inns Polo Park in Winnipeg.
The Season Opener is the ultimate hockey forum in Manitoba and will bring together stakeholders from across the province to discuss important issues within our game with a core focus on minor hockey development and education through a variety of presentations, interviews, information sessions, and workshops. This year’s theme is Changing the Game.
Below are just a few of the presenters/speakers scheduled to share their knowledge and expertise.
- Dr. Wade Gilbert, renowned coaching consultant, author, sports scientist, and award-winning professor at California State University. Author of the awarding winning book, Coaching Better Every Season.
- Dr. Adrienne Leslie-Toogood, Director of Sport Psychology, Canadian Sport Centre Manitoba, has worked extensively with athletes throughout North America and will discuss How to Improve Hockey Culture.
- Scott Furman, Vice President Growth and Retention, Hockey Canada. Scott will present on Hockey Canada’s strategic plan and the necessary steps to Grow the Game.
- Val Caldwell, Independent Consultant, offers a very inspiring and informative presentation on the topic of the virtual world (social media) and how to protect and provide a safe environment for hockey members.
- Top Manitoba Skilled Instructors – Dave Cameron, Riley Dudar, and Jon Cara.
All stakeholders in the game are encouraged to attend and take an active role in creating a model for minor hockey development in Manitoba through a variety of short presentations, information sessions, and discussions.
Ultimately the goal of the Season Opener is to provide information, resources, and specific takeaways for our hockey associations, members, and volunteers that can be utilized to improve, grow, and develop our game.
We encourage volunteers at all levels to attend, in addition to coaches, officials, and parents as there is something for everyone!
Bert Dow, President of Hockey Manitoba, noted, “Our branch continues to prioritize the advancement and development of hockey at all levels, and we are excited to come together at the Season Opener with this common goal in mind.”
The 2023 Season Opener itinerary and detailed schedule will be released in the coming weeks, however attendees can expect programming as follows:
Friday September 29th (approx. 6:30pm – 10:00pm)
Saturday September 30th (approx. 8:30am – 4:00pm)
Registration includes access to all presentations, non-alcoholic beverages, complimentary pizza (Friday Evening) and complimentary lunch (Saturday).
Be sure to take advantage of the group registration which allows up to 5 individuals to register at a reduced cost.
Attendees requiring accommodations for the event can reserve a room on-site at Canad Inns Polo Park with the Hockey Manitoba room rate of $122 plus taxes and fees/night.
The deadline to book is Tuesday August 29th, 2023
Please note: Accommodations and any expenses to attend the Season Opener are at the cost of the attendee.